Red Bull DHX


Red Bull DHX

Cape Town, South Africa 2002

Red Bull has turned a small race in a far a way land into the biggest and best event. In its fourth year Red Bull once again threw an incredible party, inviting 160 contestants from 13 countries. What a way to kick off another promising season.

Sunday, February 24

After twenty four hours on the planes, and a twelve hour layover in Amsterdam, I pulled into Cape Town about 11:30 am.

After visiting the Sunday market, it was time for the pre-party at La Med.  La Med is apparently the place to be on a Sunday night. We showed up to see a line of Red Bull vehicles. We were whisked to the front of the line! A few of the locals riders showed up. While La Med is cool, two days of travel was catching up to me, and I headed back to the hotel too early.

Monday, February 25

Once again we were

After spending the day in Cape Town I hooked up with a couple of the local riders, Richard, Mike and Simon

The sunsets were phenomenal.

Tuesday, February 26

Nick Harvey showed up in time for dinner last night. We went up to Table Mountain for the day. Not only are the views great,

Rat, Eli, and Kurtis showed up today. We went down to the waterfront for dinner. Cape Town was running its own version of Cows on Parade, Kurtis had to continue his Handstands Around the World Tour.

I barely got the shot off on the second run before someone walked in front of me.

Wednesday, February 27

Kurtis and I got up early to head out on Safari. We went to the Inverdoorn game reserve. 

zebras, water buffaloes, and tons of different antelopes. We had a stop to watch the sunset, and it was back to the lodge for a 7 course dinner.

Thursday, February 28

We got up early for another game drive. Back at the lodge we had a sumptuous breakfast. They knew how to feed us, I was half way through the large meal, when they asked me if I wanted bacon and eggs. It was back to lounging around before lunch and the ride back, until the weather intervened. It rained, and it rained hard, and the wind blew hard. One of the trucks came back without its canopy. We were nice and dry, but the poor souls who went out were completely soaked.

We missed the BBQ the night before, but we made it back in time for tonight's party.

It was a fairly mellow party, mostly old friends re-acquainting themselves. The story of the day seemed to be missed luggage. It seems like pretty much everyone who arrived today had some or all of their luggage missing!

Afterwards a bunch of us headed to Fez, a disco in the heart of Cape Town. This year we had athlete's passes to get in. Its pretty cool to get preferential treatment. About three o'clock we decided to call it a night, amazingly Steve Pearl, the oldest racer, was the only one who wanted to keep partying!

Friday, March 1

The party really gets started today. I had already registered

but for those that hadn't it ended today at noon. We all got DHX Leathermans this year!

Several of us

We were supposed to be back at 5:00 for the rider's meeting. We left about a quarter to four. I don't know how we made it back in time, our driver rocked!

Chris Chaput arrived today, with all of the missing luggage, unfortunately his luge was lost in the process.

When we got back people were gathering for the tech inspection.

Tony sprang a surprise on us, dinner would be at the S bend on the course, and we would ride tonight! Turns out there was no tech inspection, Red Bull said that so that everyone would bring their equipment for the surprise ride!

We loaded up the vans, luges and all.

Waldo can relax anywhere.

We finally pulled out in a huge caravan.

I would have LOVED to watch the riders go down. 

This was the coolest thing they did, Red Bull went over the top and definitely out did themselves. The night run rocked. The problem is, when you have to be up at 6 am, the last thing you need to do is take a run down a cool hill at 11 pm. I was so wired from the run I didn't even think of going to sleep until after 2.

Saturday, March 2

We had an early start, they wanted the lugers in the parking lot at 6:45 to start loading up. I got up early enough to load up and grab a quick bite.

I shared a table with Chaput

After a day of qualifying, it was back to the hotel to cleanup and head out to dinner.

and some sort of fish. The full moon hadn't risen yet, so we spent some time sitting there and taking in the view of the stars.

Sunday, March 3

Race Day! Once again we had to be up and at 'em by 6:45.

Wandering around the pit area, I noticed one of the riders using his DHX Leatherman.

Many of the lugers found the Leatherman was a perfect tool to drill the number plates.

We got three rounds of practice before breaking for lunch. We were going to have a tight schedule, as half of the race was going to be run before live TV started. During lunch Moody decorated the local ladies.

It was time for the first heat. Last year Dave Rogers got to race Tom Mason in the first heat in pretty much every race. Apparently this year its John's turn.

It was very difficult to take good shots. You would get all lined up, and then just as the racers came around the corner, everyone would jump in front of you.

Also taking pics of the inliners was difficult. You want to lean out to get a good picture, and the inliners were hugging the hay bales, running their arms along the hay. I know a couple of collisions were narrowly avoided.

I did manage to get a few photos of all disciplines:


Pam gave Mason a run for his money in the quarters, with a photo finish. Unfotunately the finish line was in the shade so it was difficult to see who won. The announcers didn't let us know. We didn't figure it out until Pam showed up in the VIP area! She lost by inches.

Kurtis Head got his first Gold medal.

This year the awards were going to be given away on live TV, and they were behind schedule. The riders were raced back up to the S bend for the prize giving.

Inline Podium:

Luge Podium:

Head, Rogers D, Lacey L

Standup Podium:

Chaput, Zietzman, Freeman

The awards were pretty cool. They were large, working bearings, on a block of wood.

I hung out with Kurtis for a bit,

It was time for the party at La Med. This year we had a sit down buffet, and watched the 52 minute 8 O'clock DHX showing on the big screen. After given Dani and Barbara a standing ovation we went out at partied until they kicked us out at 2 am.

Monday, March 4

Time to go home. Had to pack up and check out of the hotel. About a dozen of us headed off to the airport for the afternoon flight. One of the downhillers was given a hard time with his skateboard at the ticket counter. DeKeyser handed his skateboard to Kahn, who already had his ticket, to take through security.

30 hours later, 24 in the air, 6 in Amsterdam, I finally arrived home. After another fabulous DHX. Red Bull threw another incredible party, the best streetluge event around. I can hardly wait for next years event. As far as I know there were only two injuries this year. One may have been a broken arm, the other was a slit finger with a half dozen stitches, due to putting holes into the number plate.